Monday, March 26, 2012

I know what I did last weekend….. (Part 1)

From the time we wake up in the morning to the time we fall asleep at night, there are millions of things we complain about every single day in spite of having a life that millions would envy…. ‘Why do I have to wake up so early?’, ‘OMG it’s freezing today’, ‘This is like the slowest coffee maker in the world’, ‘F***, the gas prices went up again’, ‘man…the same boring food in the cafeteria, why can’t they have some verities’… the list can go on and on…but if you ponder carefully, you’ll realize, there are things that can make you forget about all the silly complaints and make you say “I Love my life… Thank you god”… and although these things are not constant and don’t stay forever, a mere thought that you had or have something that can rock your life brings a big smile to your face…

The best part about my life at this point – A job in New Jersey and great friends in New York… So, I work from Monday-Friday 9 to 5 in New Jersey and party wkends in NY with great buddies….Aah…. “I love my life….Thank you god..” and that’s exactly what I did last wkend…went to NY, had awesome fun and I am writing this blog because whatever happened, is worth sharing…!!

Characters in this story: Nrupa (my current roomy in NJ), Ramya (the birthday girl), Ankita (the busy person), Fagu (ms. Talli), Niharika (Ms. I dnt get drunk so easily), me (somewhere between fagu and niharika), Kumarji – Ankita’s co-worker and a friend, philosopher, guide to all of us whenever we need one, Dharam – Ankita’s co-worker who was also my batchmate in St. John’s and my friend in need for this wkend and last but not the least - the khadoos land-lord uncle.....

Nrupa is my current room-mate in NJ…. Ramya, ankita, falguni and Niharika are my roomies from NY and that house is the place I go to whenever I am in NY…. The landlord of this house is a khadoos Punjabi uncle – prolly in his early 50’s….. he has four daughters and his wife is a typical Punjabi aunti who can’t speak English inspite of living in the US for 25 years….The house is a typical NY style 2 family house…. So the landlord and his family live downstairs and we guys live upstairs….

This landlord of ours is most insecure person I have ever known in my whole entire life…. I knw having 4 daughters and a non english speaking wife in NY is more than enuf for some one to be Khadoos and especially when the oldest daughter is 23 and the youngest one is 6 (akward)…. But still, it makes no sense not letting us (his tenants) have our guy friends over for a dinner or even for studying just because he has 4 girls and he can’t trust them… For heaven’s sake, this is NY and even if it was some village in Punjab, his daughters would have sure done whatever they wanted to despite of all his silly measures... And he sure has the right to do watever he wants to with his daughters, but I seriously feel like telling him one day.. "dude... stop messing wid our lives"

So anyways… Three stories happened this wkend and here they are as follows:


Story one: Nrupa drives me to the train station…

It was about 12.30 pm on Saturday afternoon. I was done making all the usual wkend India calls. I had some left over pani puri for brunch, cleaned my room and decided to head to NY… I asked nrupa if she would drop me off to the train station and she agreed (She has this sexy red brand new 2012 Hyundai Elantra that she purchased two weeks ago). I checked the train schedule…. The train at 2.00 pm sounded perfect… we decided to leave at 1.40ish….10 minutes to get to the train station, 10 mins for buying the ticket and getting to the right track… I dressed up and quickly packed my stuff… tooth brush, keys, credit card, driver’s license and i-pad….I was all set…!!!

But this was just the plan, obviously if everything would have happened as planned, I wouldn’t be writing this blog…!!

The travel time from NJ to NY is about 2.5 hours…. 1.5 hours to get to NY in NJ Transit train and then about 1 hour on the subway… So, I decided to go the bathroom right before we left.. This bathroom trip put us 2 minutes behind on our schedule, but I was pretty sure we'd make it on time. Nrupa started driving and we were about one mile away from the train station when she made a wrong turn... Thank god for the GPS.. the thing recalculated the route and we were on the right track again. My eyes were stuck on the watch thogh. It was about 1.50 and we still had 2.5 more miles to go because of the wrong turn. Besides, all the signals are red for some reason when you are running late.. but anyways, she kept going and I kept stairing at the watch... 1.54.... 1 mile to go... we had to make a left turn, we waited for the signal light to turn green... 1.56 on the car clock... green light.... trun... BANG....!!! AAAAHHHHH....!!!

To be continued….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.